Bangles lead singer Susanna Hoffs wrote "In Your Room" with Billy Steinberg and Tom Kelly, who have written many hit songs, including "Like A Virgin," "True Colors" and "I Touch Myself." Steinberg told Songfacts: "Right from the get go the Bangles were a retro '60s kind of band. They loved '60s music, obscure groups like The Merry Go Round. There was a song by The Merry Go Round called 'Live' and the Bangles used to do that. They liked everything from Petula Clark to The Beatles, so when we got together to write with Susanna, it was right up our alley because Tom and I grew up with '60s music and that was what we loved also."
Steinberg said in his Songfacts interview: "'In Your Room' I think if anything it's a bit like 'Mony, Mony,' the Tommy James song. Sort of a happy Pop song. It's kind of camp. I wouldn't say it's one of the songs I'm the most proud of, but people like it, it's cute."
When they formed, the Bangles shared lead vocals and made sure all four members were represented equally in promotional materials. That changed as Susanna Hoffs, who sang lead on this track, became the star of their show, drawing most of the media attention. The music video for "In Your Room," directed by Tamra Davis, is a clear sign of the shift to Hoffs as the group's center. The video played her as a sex kitten, with a scene where the camera looks through a keyhole to leer at her in a bathing suit. From: https://www.songfacts.com/facts/bangles/in-your-room
DIVERSE AND ECLECTIC FUN FOR YOUR EARS - 60s to 90s rock, prog, psychedelia, folk music, folk rock, world music, experimental, doom metal, strange and creative music videos, deep cuts and more!
Friday, September 11, 2026
The Bangles - In Your Room
-
01. Close To The Edge 02. And You And I 03. Siberian Khatru Close To The Edge features the so-called ”Classical line-up” of Yes that was for...
-
Tune-Yards have shared a new single. “nowhere, man”—a reference to the Beatles song of a similar name—arrives with a new video featuring Cha...
-
Do you consider Twen to be a DIY band? Jane: We’ve set up our own label. I would love to meet the person that could do absolutely every sing...
-
San Fransisco psych outfit Agouti’s debut album Nodes is a triumphant ode to 70’s hard rock—rooted in themes of grief and power in self. Dra...
-
Exploring Birdsong hails from the UK. The trio includes Lynsey Ward on vocals and piano, Jonny Knight on bass guitar and synth, and Matt Ha...


