Friday, September 18, 2026

Sam & Dave - I Thank You / Said I Wasn’t Gonna Tell Nobody / You Got Me Hummin'

 Sam & Dave - I Thank You


 Sam & Dave - Said I Wasn’t Gonna Tell Nobody

 Sam & Dave - You Got Me Hummin'

I Thank You was written and produced by the Stax Records mainstays Isaac Hayes and David Porter, who were Sam & Dave's main songwriters. The song finds the duo so lovestruck they want to shout it to the heavens - throughout the song they thank the special lady for giving them that feeling and making them understand what their friends mean when they say they've been "turned out" by love.
This was recorded at Stax Recording Studios in Memphis with the Stax house band: Booker T. & the M.G's. Note the drum pattern: Al Jackson accents every third hit of his snare. This was David Porter's idea, although it wasn't easy for him to explain what he was looking for. Porter asked Jackson to play "the sound of horses," and he delivered the beat.
Steve Cropper added a dirty guitar sound, and Isaac Hayes played the clavinet (the instrument Stevie Wonder used on "Superstition"). Background vocals were provided by another Stax group, Ollie & the Nightingales.  From: https://www.songfacts.com/facts/sam-dave/i-thank-you