Friday, September 4, 2026

Diane Coffee - Mayflower


Mixing the flamboyant, gender-bending attitude of early Rolling Stones and David Bowie with Beatles-esque melodies, Diane Coffee (real name Shaun Fleming) has been releasing his brand of exuberant rock n’ roll since 2013. Taking a break from being the live drummer for Foxygen, Coffee recorded his debut album My Friend Fish in New York on his own, not recruiting a full band for touring until afterwards.
In 2015, Coffee released his follow-up album Everybody’s a Good Dog, which included the horn-filled single “Mayflower”. Blasting off out the gates like a marching band on speed, the track then flows into a chill acoustic rhythm as Coffee enters with bluesy vocals, “How can I help you? I can get you what you want”. If it’s not an intentional Stones reference, I would be pretty surprised, as Coffee sounds like a young Jagger. The triumphant horns return with chugging guitars during the commanding chorus. If you miss the classic rock of the 60’s, Diane Coffee can satisfy that craving.  From: https://theindyreview.com/2017/09/26/check-this-diane-coffee-mayflower/