Friday, August 21, 2026

Carolina Chocolate Drops - Country Girl


You lost a founding member [Dom Flemons] this year to a solo career. But you’ve added two new talented members [Rowan Corbett and Malcolm Parson] and the group is starting to feel like an artists’ collective of sorts. Tell me about  how the group identity is morphing with these lineup changes.

Rhiannon Giddens: It’s really exciting. When we first started, it was a trio and the first original member to leave—Justin Robinson—when he left, I just couldn’t imagine the band as anything but the three of us. But Dom said, “I think we can do this; let’s just see what other amazing talent is out there and let’s keep it going.” It’s more than just a band, you know? When we brought in Hubby [Jenkins], that was a huge moment, because it was then  that I realized that he can learn some of the Joe Thompson tunes through us and that he knows all these other  things he can bring to us. We were able to do different songs that we couldn’t do before. Then we brought Leyla [McCalla] in on the cello and that opened us up even more. With the departure of Dom and Leyla—though  she was only with us for a while and we always knew she was focused on her solo career—everybody has brought some amazing songs and points of view which have expanded the band. I just feel like everybody is richer because of it. The people who traveled with us for a while had a great experience and we were enriched by it—I think everybody wins; that’s the way we look at it. Now we’ve got a fantastic cellist from New Orleans [Parson] and another North  Carolinian [Corbett], who plays [a] bodhran (which we’ve never had before, so that will be really cool), along with all the other stuff that they bring. It’s exciting. Musically, there will be changes just like there were the first time the band changed lineups, but the songs will retain the things about them that people really enjoy. We won’t suddenly be doing, oh I don’t know, R&B Irish music or something.

You brought a new little Chocolate Drop into the world just over a year ago. It’s been said over and over again that women can do anything, but how do you personally strike the balance between caring for your kids, touring, recording etc.? Your plate seems very full.

It is very full and I wouldn’t be able to do it without support. This was actually my second little Drop, as my daughter is four and a half years old, so we’ve been through it before, which makes it a little  bit easier—although now it’s a little  harder in a way because there are two of them! But my husband is amazing and everybody on the team has been very, very supportive and helpful. I’ve been out here in California recording and my tour manager was actually taking care of the baby.

Are you the only band member with  children?

I am. So they’re really kind of the band’s children. [laughs] Everybody’s been really great and they’ve learned a lot. Leyla has said that when she has a kid, she will have learned so much from being with us while I was pregnant and then the first year of his life, so I feel great that my family life has enriched my band life. Band life is really kind of an artificial, weird thing because you spend time with these people all the time—more than you do with your own family—and having kids along kind of humanizes it. Just to remind you that,  oh yeah, we’re human and there’s more to life than getting that note right.

Speaking of your husband — who is Irish — one of your many side projects is a duet with  him that  focuses on Irish  dance  music. That made me wonder what  came  first:  the relationship or the musical partnership?

Oh definitely the relationship. When we met, he was into prog rock and stuff like that. He actually wasn’t even into folk music. He started learning how to tune pianos and he just realized “Oh yeah, I love acoustic music; I had forgotten how good acoustic sound is.” So he started playing the guitar again and I was like “Hey, let’s play some tunes!” and the bug bit him. And that was it, you know? So it’s been really great to work on that with him. Also, he speaks Gaelic to our kids and he’s been really exploring the Gaelic music part of his heritage. So that’s been really cool to watch, too.

On your last record, Leaving Eden, you delved into a lot of areas of historically African-American music, including string-based folk, blues and gospel/spirituals. There  was even some beatboxing the last  time you played live here. What can we expect the live show to be like under this new lineup?

We’re still finding ourselves as a new quartet, so we’ve got some new things that we’ve been getting together and we’ve been doing our renditions of Chocolate Drop staples like “Cornbread & Butterbeans” and things like that. It will be a nice mixture. Each new member brings not only their instrumentation, but their own sort of take on this music and their own interests and influences. So we’ll be mining that, but it will obviously take time to find its way to the stage. I know that the show will be awesome and entertaining and I’m really proud of what we’ve put together so far, and we’ll also see what the audience is digging. It’s always kind of a never- ending process.

You guys are doing work to preserve a kind of music  that is largely  forgotten outside of the American South. Do you plan to continue mining that vast back catalog of field songs and spirituals and putting your own spin on them, or do you hope in the future to focus more on original compositions inspired by that sound?

You know, a little bit of both. Mostly mining and a little bit of original. There’s just so much amazing material out there—not just African-American music from North Carolina, but there’s the whole black diaspora to look at, all over this country, in the Caribbean, South America. There’s such a rich tradition that it’s kind of endless, so there’s plenty of material and I’m always inspired by finding new things. And all the guys are finding and bringing their own thoughts about that, too. But then I’ve really been reading a lot of history and really probing into the history of us as a people and I’ve been inspired to write new things and reimagine folk songs, so there’s going to be a little  bit of that too. We’ll always be more on the “cover” side, but just because there is so much great existing music that needs to be heard. But I think that it’s nice to get a new perspective on old themes, so you should be seeing a little bit of that coming out as well. I’ve been performing a few in the show and people seem to be really digging them, so we’ll just pepper that in. But we’re pretty firm on who we are. You know, every other band in the world does original material, but we’re just so happy to be serving these songs.

I’ve heard it said that you guys tackle “standard” folk tunes, but I don’t find anything “standard” about most of what you do, being that your versions are often the only exposure many people will have to these songs. In my mind, “standard” equates with “done to death,” but I don’t feel like the classification fits  here. What would you even call the types of songs you cover?

We just call them traditional songs. There are so many songs where you don’t even know who wrote them— they just kind of survived the human condition and obviously spoke to people, so we kept doing them. And they need to be heard. It’s important for people to continue to get them out there, because it’s amazing that when you realize how they speak to modern people, you see how much of history  just continues to repeat itself and how we can really sympathize with people from 200 years ago because, in a lot of ways, we’re dealing with the same stuff.

From: https://antigravitymagazine.com/feature/country-girl-an-interview-with-the-carolina-chocolate-drops-rhiannon-giddens/