If you’re a longtime Elton John fan, you certainly have a favorite album or two, or three. During the 1970s, Elton had an incredible run of amazing records. Standouts include Tumbleweed Connection, Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy, and Madman Across The Water. I’ve always appreciated Elton as an “album” artist, though he’s had huge success with his singles as well. One of the discs that sometimes gets slightly lost in the shuffle is the 1973 release Don’t Shoot Me I’m Only the Piano Player, which came out between Honky Chateau and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. It’s a fantastic effort that features a number of excellent songs. At the time of its original release, it spawned a couple of massive hit singles in “Daniel” and “Crocodile Rock.”
The record was made at Château d’Hérouville in France, where the band had recorded Honky Chateau. Don’t Shoot Me finds Elton and lyricist Bernie Taupin continuing their creative hot streak. Bernie’s vivid imagery and Elton’s tuneful music are the perfect match. Kicking off with the classic ballad “Daniel,” the album features an eclectic mix of tunes, including the rollicking, Stones-esque “Midnight Creeper” and the powerful “Have Mercy On The Criminal,” featuring strings arranged by Paul Buckmaster who had collaborated with Elton on some of his previous albums. There’s also a tribute to Elton’s friend Marc Bolan of T-Rex on “I’m Going To Be A Teenage Idol.” Of course, the supremely talented band consisting of Davey Johnstone on guitar, Dee Murray on bass, and Nigel Olsson on drums, backs Elton on the album, and they rocked, as they always did when backing Elton, whether it was live or in studio.
Other notable tracks include the rocking “Elderberry Wine” and the bouncy “Teacher I Need You.” Of course, it wouldn’t be an Elton record without some slower-paced, ballad-style numbers and the beautiful “Blues For My Baby and Me” and the tender “High Flying Bird” are also standouts. Don’t Shoot Me I’m Only the Piano Player is probably Elton’s most straightforward pop album up to that point in his career, and it’s a very well-crafted record, impeccably produced by Gus Dudgeon. In re-listening to it, I’ve realized it truly stands up alongside some of his best work. From: https://www.culturesonar.com/elton-john-dont-shoot-me/
DIVERSE AND ECLECTIC FUN FOR YOUR EARS - 60s to 90s rock, prog, psychedelia, folk music, folk rock, world music, experimental, doom metal, strange and creative music videos, deep cuts and more!
Friday, April 24, 2026
Elton John - Teacher I Need You / Blues for Baby and Me / Texan Love Song / High Flying Bird
-
In 1972, with an already embarrassingly rich resume including Buffalo Springfield and CSN&Y, Stephen Stills’ finest hour was still to co...
-
Q: The Joy Formidable – ‘Cradle You Again’ tour commences on the 20th September, their first in four years in the U.K. – How are you feeling...
-
Sorry, but I can’t resist: It was in the month of May that I sat down to review the newest album by the British folk-rockers Albion, titled ...
-
Nusantara Beat didn’t form around a manifesto. It began with a shared sense of curiosity: six musicians in Amsterdam reaching for half-remem...
-
Tweedees—the band formed by singer Natsumi Kiyoura and composer/music producer Reiji Okii—has completed their second album, *The Second Time...

