Sunday, May 5, 2024

Cellar Darling - Rebels


Dark/Live/Mag Interview with Anna Murphy, Cellar Darling
- On Bats, Squirrels And The Love To Death

Marco: Anna, first of all thank you so much for taking the time for an interview with us.

Anna: Thank you for having me.

Marco: 2018 was a very busy year for you. You toured intensively, in the UK, Japan, South America, played at the WGT in Leipzig and other big festivals. And on top of that you were working on your highly anticipated second album. How are you and the band doing at the moment?

Anna: I for one am exhausted. The album took a lot of energy to write and record. But it was worth it - I'm happy with the result. As for the band, we're currently switching back and forth between rehearsing and working... we all have other jobs and passions which we are trying to balance with our commitment to Cellar Darling. I'm a producer and sound engineer at the Soundfarm Studios in Lucerne, currently working with a death metal band and writing music for my other projects.

Marco: Well, that sounds like little sleep. Which brings me to 'Insomnia'. It was the first released single of the new album, which brought you a lot of positive feedback. The fans are now even more excited about your second longplayer. What can you tell us about it?

Anna: We've just announced that our new album will be a concept album by the name of 'The Spell'. We've released two small parts of a long, intense story... the latest song being the title track and the 'center' of the story about a girl who falls in love with death. The album will be released on the 22nd of March.

Marco: Now you make me even more curious! Would you reveal more of what the story is about?

Anna: Okay, it tells the tale of a nameless girl who is birthed into a world that is in pain, damaged and debilitated by the human beings that inhabit it. We follow her as she searches for a meaning in life, when suddenly she meets and falls in love with death. A spell is cast and a painful, elaborate journey begins.

Marco: Let's talk about Jacob the bat. When I first listened to 'Insomnia' I was immediately caught by the depth, the captivating variety and your beautiful vocal lines. The work seems original, fresh, but also complex, which makes it even more exciting. In the video, the oppressive atmosphere and melancholy is emphasized by the magnificent artwork of Costin Chioreanu. What did Jacob do to you that in the end such a work was created?

Anna: First off, thank you. I'm glad that you can sense what atmosphere we wanted to create with the song as well as hear how much work was put into it. Jacob came to visit us while I was recording the demo vocals in the control room of my studio. It was exciting of course and at one point we were just running around the studio being chased by him, but my main concern was if he'd find the way back out. We left all the windows open over night and he was gone the next day... or at least he hasn't come to say 'hi' since. A few weeks later a squirrel came to visit us at Tommy Vetterli's New Sound studio where we recorded more songs and mixed the album. It was during the only song of the album that has something "lighthearted" about it, a spark of hope. Kind of cool, the bat being there during a dark song and having a squirrel there for the lighter one. The animal world seems to be on board with our music!

Marco: And so do we! The combination of heavy guitar riffs, rocky drums, hurdy-gurdy and your voice has already provided you with a recognition value in your still young band history. But it's hard to assign you to a certain genre. I think that's on purpose, too. And one notices with your songs that your ideas unfold fully because you set no limits to them. When and how did you realize for yourself that you wanted to create new and unique things? I once heard that you are a talented painter as well?

Anna: I've just never had an affinity for boundaries. I think some artists need those 'restraints' and clear formulas in order to function, but I'm the opposite. Genres, set song structures, formulas.. it bores me. The fuel for my creativity is chaotic, 'all over the place', scattered... which also makes the results more difficult to enjoy or understand at times. I also admire the other thing, finding something that works, repeating it and being successful with that. It takes an equal amount of skills as the chaos principle does that I'm messing around with. As for the painting, it's like with the various instruments I play. I love doing a lot of different things, but that also means I gradually and slowly progress with each of them - I don't do one thing perfectly or overly virtuosic, I half-ass my way through ten things and hope I'll be able to do a few of them as good as somehow possible, haha.

Marco: But you seem so calm and balanced. How do you deal with stress? How do you balance yourself and what are you busy with if you don't want to have anything to do with music - or doesn't that happen at all?

Anna: A lot of people say that and it's interesting, because I'm quite a mess to be honest. I would say my core is calm and balanced, yes. But I have bouts of anxiety, paranoia and depression that come and go as they please. So far they haven't gotten the better of me though and I guess that's why I'm perceived as calm - the outside world rarely sees the other side. What helps me the most is being outside, hiking in the mountains is the most cleansing experience for my mind. I try to meditate and read as much as possible to stay grounded. And I surround myself with few, but good people... Oh and wine. Red wine.

Marco: Oh wow, that's an intense mix of emotions you have to deal with. Thank you for this insight in your inner life. Let's get back to your future plans: For 2019 you have already announced a number of tour dates in spring. The focus so far is on the UK. Are there already plans for more countries in Europe, as headliner or support band? What are the next steps you want to take?

Anna: We're working on doing more shows this year, as many as somehow possible. Most of it is still 'in progress' though... I don't really think about the next steps, I just do my part and work towards something unknown in the end. What I can do is create, be present and spread our stories - the future will happen on its own accord anyways and it did so wonderfully last year where we got to see so many parts of the world.

From: https://www.facebook.com/cellardarlingofficial/posts/interview-with-anna-murphy-thank-you-darklivemag-/2152823064784080/