Sunday, April 7, 2024

Puscifer - A Singularity (Re-Imagined by Carina Round)


 Puscifer have now rolled out a fourth music video for the Carina Round reimagining of their track “A Singularity“. The alternative rock outfit, who are fronted by Tool/A Perfect Circle vocalist Maynard James Keenan, wound up with multiple videos for that reworked version of the song.
This latest clip was helmed by actor Yul Vazquez. Puscifer commented of his take: “Many of you know Yul Vazquez from one of his numerous TV roles (Severance, The Outsider, Russian Doll, etc.) but he’s also a talented photographer and painter. Yul lent his talents to our series of “A Singularity (Re-Imagined by Carina Round)” videos.
‘As an actor I have the opportunity to travel to incredible places and witness beautiful and often lonely things. I do my best to photograph these moments, the architecture, the shadow and light. I used some of this footage I’ve photographed all over the world for this track. But when Maynard revealed to me the source of these lyrics it altered the edit. The song now had far more emotional impact on me which sent me on my own journey and prompted me to include some very personal footage. It’s my contribution to a song about loss.'”
Further videos done by Odin Wadleigh and Keenan‘s daughter Lei Li are also lined up for this track. The song itself serves as a tribute to Keenan‘s late dog MiHo, with the man himself having previously stated: “On Oct. 7, 2021, I lost my Muse. Deadly Little MiHo lost her 2 year battle with pancreatitis and kidney disease. We thought we lost her in late 2019, so I panicked and wrote her this song. We were certain she was done for. But we were blessed with a second chance and a bit more time. I rarely share things like this. Too painful. But this one can’t be kept bottled up. As I have mentioned before, she has been hiding in most of my vocal tracks since 2005. She was either in or near the vocal booth every time I tracked. Her sigh, her bark, sniffle, sneeze. Her jingling collar. Her squeaky toys. Usually poorly timed.  From: https://www.theprp.com/2023/02/12/news/puscifer-release-fourth-music-video-for-carina-rounds-a-singularity-remix/

Carina Round: Maynard’s vocal for this song is synonymously a sorrowful hymn and a siren of celebration. I wanted the main vocal and the bass and drums to be anchors in a sea of jubilant chaos. A kind of controlled cacophony of celebratory joy. Familiar, but a bit unnerving. Even Carla’s groove, so meticulous and powerful, sounds like it could derail into a delightful nervous breakdown at any point. The horns and saxes at the end are all moving together but somehow so loose, dispersing off into foam and then coming back together into one harmonious wave and then breaking off again, cascading. I feel excited when it’s over and like I want to get back on the ride. Birds, a charm of finches bookend the song. You can feel their energy. And within, there’s Maynard’s lone whistle, mimicking them. The one who keeps them alive and in turn draws his own life force. The synergy of composure and chaos in a dance reverence.  From: https://genius.com/Puscifer-a-singularity-re-imagined-by-carina-round-lyrics