Thursday, March 30, 2023

Norihiro Sekitani

As Cesar Cruz once said, “Art should disturb the comfortable and comfort the disturbed”. And personally, I’m pretty mentally deranged - at least, according to the average twitter tween. So, I think it goes without saying that I often find myself disappointed with many music videos created for my favorite hardcore music. It’s like - yeah, wow, cool, the artist is whipping his hair, or moving erratically. That’s cool and all, but the music without the video produces such an abstract brutality, that your crazy dances don’t really cut it. I could see crazier things if I went down the street and gave my local individual without a home five bucks and told him to dance. It’s for this reason that I was so enthralled with the abstract body horror of Cyriak when I was younger. I wanted to feel a fear that would never meet me in the physical realm - a horror existent within only the creative hellscape of the human mind. Later in life, I discovered music that evoked a similar visceral reaction to Cyriak’s art - and I couldn’t help but think, “what if we combined that aforementioned surrealism with hardcore music, and turned them both up to 11”? Welcome, to the beautifully twisted surrealism of the prolific Japanese mixed-media artist, Norihiro Sekitani. Norihiro Sekitani is a legendary visual artist when it comes to the Japanese ultra-hardcore scene. Hell, he’s even done some videos for hardcore breakcore metal. To give you an idea of his specialty, I’m just gonna read you the names of some bands he’s made visuals for: DJ Rainbow Ejaculation, Zombieflesheater, Maruosa, you probably get the picture. The Pink Tentacle blog described his work as, “medical book meets manga meets [suggestive material].”  From: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFZU_E1R2iU

 
Maruosa - ACA
 
 
Zombieflesheater - Face Destroy
 
 
DJ Rainbow Ejaculation - At Numerous Discos On Any Given Night