Juliana Hatfield is an American guitarist/singer-songwriter from the Boston area, formerly of the indie rock band Blake Babies. She also records as The Juliana Hatfield Three. In 2015, Hatfield and American musician Paul Westerberg formed the duo The I Don’t Cares. Hatfield began her solo career following the Blake Babies’ breakup in 1991, releasing her first solo album Hey Babe in 1992. The album was one of the highest selling independent albums of 1992. Hatfield recruited a rhythm section comprised of former Moving Targets and Bullet LaVolta drummer Todd Phillips, and Thudpucker bassist Dean Fisher, and thus becoming The Juliana Hatfield Three. Hatfield achieved alterna-rock stardom with the release of 1993’s Become What You Are. Hatfield’s popularity coincided with the success, in the mid-1990s, of many other female musicians (such as Liz Phair, PJ Harvey, Belly, Letters to Cleo, Velocity Girl, The Breeders, Hole, Veruca Salt, Poe, Throwing Muses, Magnapop, Bettie Serveert). Although she has always maintained that her gender is of only incidental importance to her music, Hatfield was pleased to have been invited, in 1997, to tour with the first Lilith Fair, a prominent all-female rock festival founded by singer Sarah McLachlan. Hatfield was profiled in a number of girls’ magazines at this time and was embraced by many pre-teen and teenage girls as a role model due to the positive way she addressed serious issues faced by young women in her songs and interviews. About this period she says: “I was never comfortable with the attention. I thought it had come too soon. I hadn’t earned it yet.” She gained notoriety in 1992 for saying that she was still a virgin in her mid-twenties in Interview magazine. In a 1994 interview for the magazine Vox she said she was surprised by the effect ‘outing’ herself had: “I think there are a lot of people out there who don’t care about sex, but who you never hear from, so I thought I should say it. The magazine I did the interview for is full of beef-cake hunky guys and scantily-clad models, so I thought it would be really funny to say that I didn’t care about sex in a magazine that’s full of sex and beauty – but no one really got the joke.” From: https://thevogue.com/artists/juliana-hatfield/#bio
DIVERSE AND ECLECTIC FUN FOR YOUR EARS - 60s to 90s rock, prog, psychedelia, folk music, folk rock, world music, experimental, doom metal, strange and creative music videos, deep cuts and more!
-
Can you tell us about the new expanded edition of St Johns Wood Affair’s LP and what we can expect from this version? Hi Jason, we recorded ...
-
Buddy Miles - ABC In Concert 1973 Buddy Miles - Helsinki, Finland 1971 Buddy Miles - Live Montreux 1971 Buddy Miles Live! (1971):...
-
Nothing goes together as well as the extreme heat of the summer and really depressive black metal, right? Or is that just me again? Well, an...
-
Tune-Yards have shared a new single. “nowhere, man”—a reference to the Beatles song of a similar name—arrives with a new video featuring Cha...
-
Darcy Farrow - words and music by Steve Gillette and Tom Campbell: When I met Tom Campbell he was working for Walt Disney. From his first jo...
