Thursday, August 25, 2022

Indigo Girls - Kid Fears


 #Indigo Girls #Amy Ray #Emily Saliers #folk rock #contemporary folk #singer-songwriter #Michael Stipe #1990s

Amy Ray: "'Kid Fears' is about the difficulty of growing up, getting into a world where people know where your hiding places are and what your secrets are. In the third verse, when I say 'Skipping stones/We know the price now,' that's specifically about the music industry. I used the image of skipping stones because the flatter and smoother the stone is, the better it skips and the more spin you put on it the farther it goes. When I say smooth, I'm talking about being polished and dressing right. 'We know the price now/Any sin will do' - there's a lot of things you can do to get further in the industry, and a lot of them, to me, are sins, because they're compromises. I stick to principles too much. I have a real short temper and tend to be outspoken. It's like, one person says something like 'Oh, when the paychecks start rolling in you'll change your mind about that,' can make you say 'Well fuck you, because I'm never going to change, I'm always going to feel this way and I know I am.' You have to be really strong, and remember that you're getting to play and that's really what you want to do."  From: https://songmeanings.com/songs/view/49044/

The Indigo Girls are an American folk rock duo consisting of singer-songwriter/guitarists Emily Saliers and Amy Ray (who has also released six albums as a solo act). After meeting in grade school and beginning their musical collaboration in college, they have been performing together since the late 1980s and as of 2019 are embarked on an international tour with the University of Colorado Symphony Orchestra. They are known for their complementary vocal and guitar arrangements and popular songs "Closer to Fine", "Galileo", and "Power of Two", as well as for their activism both on behalf of and apart from the lesbian community.  From: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Music/IndigoGirls